Homemade Ranch Dressing (and Dip)
1 (16 oz) tub of sour cream (I used regular but you can use low fat or no fat, if preferred)
1 garlic clove
1 handful of dill
1 handful of chives
1 handful of flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, optional
fresh cracked pepper
buttermilk to taste
1. Peel one clove of garlic and smash or slice thinly with a knife on a cutting board. Sprinkle the garlic with enough salt to smash with a the tines of a fork and create a paste. Add the garlic paste to a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the sour cream to the garlic in the mixing bowl.
3. Mince the dill, finely.
4. Mince the chives, finely.
5. Mince the parsley, finely.
6. Add the fresh herbs to the sour cream mixture.
7. Squeeze a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and add to the dressing mixture.
8. Mix the herbs and sour cream.
10. Add more salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. (You could use the mixture as is for a thick ranch dip).
11. Add buttermilk and stir until you reach the desired consistency for salad dressing or dip.
12. Use for salad or dip!
These were the recipes that I studied before creating my recipe. The Pioneer Woman and An Oregon Cottage blogs had the biggest influence on my recipe.
The Pioneer Woman's Homemade Ranch Dressing
HuffPost Taste's The Only Ranch Dressing You Will Ever Need
Chow's Basic Ranch Dressing
Simply Recipe's Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
An Oregon Cottage's Best Homemade Ranch Dressing & Dip